Our V.E.T.S. Program: Investing in One of America’s Greatest Untapped Resources
The Backstory – Why Hire Veterans?
“V.E.T.S. is the kind of innovative thinking we need to bring across every industry. The toughest part of the transition for returning veterans is when they are finding a new culture, figuring out a new language and new skills. When you can eliminate most of that angst with squads of three or four and equip them with relevant life skills, you’ve set them on a trajectory for success. Once you do that, everybody wins: the client, the vet and the organization.” – Retired Air Force General and V.E.T.S. Program Advisory Board Chairman John Michel
For 25 years, Sharp Decisions has been providing strategic business and technology consulting services to a variety of sectors. Our versatility has enabled us to gain momentum and, as need for talent in the IT field has increased, we’ve filled the void with an innovative, industry-first new service capability employing returning military veterans, providing them with intensive IT training and then deploying them in squads to clients.
Under our V.E.T.S.™ (Vocation, Education and Training for Service members) Program, we hire tech-savvy, post-9/11 U.S. armed forces veterans – as well as veterans with IT experience – leveraging the skills sets they already have, while training them in Quality Assurance, Software Testing, Business Analysis and Project Management, as well as in Cloud Architecture and Cyber/Network Security. Our veterans are fully salaried/benefited employees while undergoing, boot camp-like, project oriented technology training. We operate our program without any government assistance and do not touch the veterans’ GI Bill benefits.
Onboarding our veterans is a smart business investment because their hands-on experience with the military’s most cutting edge technology has prepared them to perfectly match the needs of the technology industry. And by training our veterans, we absorb the risk by bridging the gap between their military skills and the needs of private sector companies.
Veterans bring a resilient approach to obtain results, leadership, creative troubleshooting and problem solving under pressure, and a respect for each client’s unique culture and chain of command that have turned them into trusted, indispensable assets to our clients.
This business solution is grounded in the military’s most treasured and timeless principle – teamwork – and serves as a tri-fold benefit in the marketplace: providing immediate, measurable and cost-effective benefits to our clients’ bottom lines and creating promising career opportunities for veterans, while being the first program of its kind to bring corporate IT jobs back to America that have long been outsourced to overseas vendors.
Learn more about our V.E.T.S. Program Capabilities and why it is a sound business investment by downloading our Program Profile document.
V.E.T.S. Is a Value-Driven Business Model
“These guys come to us already trained and in teams that have already worked together. I would say that they are actually more effective than many of our college hires because they are more experienced, focused and they already know exactly what they need to learn. Bringing on a new squad was the easiest business decision I ever made.” – Tim Snyder, Vice President and Business Technology Officer at Freddie Mac.
The comprehensive and broad training curriculum is a critical component of the V.E.T.S. Program. Our highly qualified veterans are taken through a training program that prepares them for client projects: teaching business processes, methodologies and best practices through hands-on training with commonly used tools in practical, project-oriented environments, tailored to the specific needs of each client.
Once training is completed, the results for our clients are measurable. Our program produces highly capable, motivated teams who are readily integrated with the customer’s business. They provide on-site or locally remote flexibility, consistently delivering paramount quality, contained costs and performance excellence.
Clients have said that 2-3 months of the V.E.T.S. on the job is equivalent to having 2-3 years from the average consultant.
V.E.T.S. has demonstrable value for the bottom line of our clients, as every project our veterans have ever had sole responsibility for has been completed on time or ahead of schedule and on or below budget. Our teams of veterans even cross train one another to continuously grow, adapt and accomplish the changing mission(s) at hand.
Our veterans have also been highly successful in varying geographic and diverse accounts such as Harmonic (SJ), Experian (LA), Freddie Mac (DC), and EmblemHealth (NYC). These early adopters of the program took a chance on veterans with only 2-3 months of experience, and it has paid off tremendously:
- At Freddie Mac, the V.E.T.S. team was able to complete a project nearly one month ahead of schedule.
- At EmblemHealth, reporting time on project reports that had taken 45 minutes was reduced to 1 minute.
Furthermore, costs are competitive with offshore/near-shore rates and we provide an experienced Subject Matter Expert to the team at no additional cost to the client. In an industry where offshore turnover rates are nearly 65%, our program’s retention rate is 94% and services are immediate and local.
Learn more about what our V.E.T.S. Program can do to save you time and money on all your IT projects by downloading our Business Value Overview document or by seeing how immensely successful our V.E.T.S. teams have been at our clients in this NBC segment as well as in this segment on The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson on Fox News.
The V.E.T.S. Program is an important extension of our company and aligns perfectly with the Sharp Decisions commitment to offering the best talent and solutions to our clients. Integrating our highly trained and disciplined armed forces veteran consultants into your organization is a smart business investment.
V.E.T.S. Program At-a-Glance
- Sharp Decisions hires and trains returning post-9/11 veterans in Quality Assurance, Software Testing, Business Analysis and Project Management, among other specialties, in teams to take advantage of their military experience working together. Once training is complete we deploy our veterans to clients in squads.
- By training our veterans, we absorb the risk by bridging the gap between their military skills and the needs of private companies.
- Clients notice the benefit our veteran consultants have on their IT teams, saying that 2-3 months of the V.E.T.S. on the job is equivalent to 2-3 years from the average consultant.
- Every project our veterans have worked on has been completed on time or before deadline and at or below budget, consistently outperforming their civilian counterparts.
- Costs are competitive with offshore/near-shore rates and we provide an experienced Subject Matter Expert to the team at no additional cost to the client.
- Our program produces highly capable teams who are readily integrated with the customer’s business. They provide on-site or locally remote flexibility, which often cannot be said for offshore/near-shore testing, consistently delivering paramount quality, contained costs and performance excellence.
- Hear from our V.E.T.S. team members, clients and third party advocates.
- Read the latest news on the success of our program.